Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Not Another Facebook Post!

Over the past few years, Facebook has become the standard by which most of us lead our social lives. It informs us of what is going on, when and where it is happening, who is going and whether or not that one person that might be attending is available.

It is a system that is continually updated to try and make it as flawless as conceivably possible and along with it has influenced a whole host of new pop-culture references. You couldn't 'like' something ten years ago.



You couldn't tell people you'd just met to 'Facebook' you. You certainly couldn't have said "that's totally going in my status" without at least someone thinking you were crazy. But you can now!

However, there is one new addition to the Facebook-Phenomenon that, to me, is bordering on taking things too far. It's the new 'Places' feature for iPhones (and probably most other phones soon too), where people can tell you where they are and you can click on that location and be provided with a map of their exact whereabouts.

Now, call me old fashioned, but isn't this just asking for trouble? That crazy old fellow who makes an account as some young, dashing stallion is now able to follow your Facebook and find out exactly where you are, right down to the name and number of the street.

It's a feature that, in my opinion, is not really required- I guess it could be useful for police looking to lure dimwitted thieves into their clutches by posing as a money bag or something- but for the general population, what's wrong with someone saying "I'm getting food here" without the additional option of posting a detailed street map for all to see?



That said, I neither own an iPhone nor have the finances available to invest in one, so in reality, the presence of a Facebook 'Places' feature has little real effect on how I live my life. I guess I'm just trying to be a Good Samaritan and keep you all safe from the dark and evils of Internet Predators.

Which brings me to my next point… There is totally a Facebook-Posting button ON my blog! I'm not sure if people are negligent of this feature or they just don't find these posts interesting enough to recommend to their e-friends, but I *can assure you that there is much to be gained by pressing this button and posting it to your social profiles…



*Disclaimer: This cannot legally be assured by Nate-Radio or any related parties.

4 comments:

  1. I really LIKE the LIKE cartoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have facebook, but if i did I would totally "like" your stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, you guys are far too awesome. Way nicer than those e-people that hang out around YouTube...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!