Monday, November 8, 2010

Caution: Educational Devices Ahead

In light of my recent string of examinations, I have decided that I should not be the only one forced to learn things for the (pointless) purpose of knowing them. If I learn something, I want it to be for practical value, yet somehow this is not the way modern tertiary education is set up.

Therefore, I present to you, Einstein's Theory of Relativity, or at least, the Nate Radio edition. Now for copyright reasons (be they real or imaginary) I must note that this metaphor is largely inspired by Brian Greene's informative book 'The Fabric of the Cosmos'. Legal mumbo jumbo aside, here's the set up:






Note: Now this part catches some people up. Remember, you're still going 100km/h, you're just not going 100km/h NORTH. That speed is now distributed both Northern and Western directions. The sharper than angle becomes (or the more West you go) the more your Northern speed will drop until you are going 100km/h West and 0km/h North (at which point, you'll by hoverboarding out of screen to the left).


Note: Remember- you're always moving through time. You're always going "North" until you are travelling light speed through space, which is interesting if you think about it… Since light moves through space at the maximum velocity, it does not travel through time (it is the equivalent in the first picture to travelling completely west).



So that's it! I hope it interested you slightly. I personally find it quite cool to think that light has no concept of time, that it is travelling completely through space and therefore never ages. Even more so, I hope that it made sense. If not, hit me up in the comments. I'll try to explain any discrepancies best I can (remember, I'm not a physics graduate, just someone who enjoys reading about a wide range of topics)

And if it did make sense- congratulations! You can go and brag to your friends about your superior knowledge of Einstein's theories and make them feel intellectually inferior to your glorious brain!

Final Note: It has been pointed out to me that km/ph is grammatically incorrect. I accept full responsibility for the error and hope it doesn't cause you grammar-nazi's to stress too much. I also acknowledge that it should, in fact, be typed km/h.

3 comments:

  1. even the pictures were too mathematical for my simple mind.
    wowzers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and thanks for taking off the captcha thingies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a result i shall comment on your blog more often :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!