Friday, August 27, 2010

Another Eureka Moment in the Kitchen!

Lately, I have noticed some very specific recurring trends in my cooking- most of them related to how hungry I actually am.

1. I cook a decent meal when I'm not very hungry, it's good but it's not delicious.

2. When I am on the cusp of becoming a hungry hungry hippo, my meals suddenly become incredibly delicious

3. At some point though (the point of no return), I become too hungry and impatient and from there on in, everything goes to food taste hell.



Nothing shows this trend in as clearly as my home made, fat filled, tummy tingling mushroom sauce. Probably because sauces, in general, are a delicate art. You have to nurture them long enough to bring out their full flavour and potential, but not so long as to turn them into a gooey mess.



But enough about me, try it for yourself:

Nate Radio Mushroom Sauce
Serves 2

You will need
4-6 button mushrooms
3/4 white onion (though if you prefer a more 'oniony' flavour, brown onions are fine)
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of cream
Salt

Method
1. Thinly slice mushrooms and dice onions.

2. Melt butter in a small saucepan on low heat

3. Once butter is melted, turn heat up as high as possible and throw in mushrooms and onion.

4. Sauté mushrooms and onions quickly with a fork, try to get them all coated in butter (add more butter if required)

6. Bring heat down to around halfway and continue to sauté until you can smell that nice, creamy mushroomy smell.

7. Add cream and stir in.

8. Reduce down to desired thickness.

9. Serve on any cut of red med and vegetables.

10. Post your comments of thanks and gratitude here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm salivating and my butt is getting bigger just thinking about the mushroom sauce. YUM. If you wanna make it extra heart-unhealthy, serve it over HOMEMADE EGG NOODLES. Meow. I'm purring.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!