Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Friend The Bird

Birds are amazing creatures. During their season of migrations, birds fly for thousands of miles at a time, navigating, like seamen of old, solely on the location of the stars.

However, one thing they cannot do very well is escape courtyards.

I learned this today as a flutter of flapping and banging interrupted my daily perusal of YouTube. The source of the conundrum? A Magpie-Lark (also known as a Mudlark, Murray Magpie and Peewee) had found it's way into our courtyard area and was doing it's bestest to give itself a headache.

I watched transfixed for a few moments as it repeatedly flew into the mesh netting, not at all discouraged by the seemingly invisible forcefield that repeatedly knocked it back.



Being sympathetic at heart, I did my best to set it free, first trying to make a trail of bread, so that the bird could eat its way to freedom. However, the panic and distress of the situation must have chased away our friends appetite, as my generosity was rewarded only with further attempt at escape!

Eventually, with the aid of a mop, I set the Magpie-Lark free, however, not before noticing the distinct smell and presence of a farewell gift.



Oh nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!