Friday, October 19, 2012

De-Sex Your Cat!!

Today, while digging up a giant lavender bush (seriously- huge). I found a teeny tiny litter of kittens. They were so small and cute! So cuddly and soft! Absolutely adorable. The only problem was that by taking out the bush, I had now deprived them of their shaded cat-pad. So, I did what I could, I put them in a cardboard box with a soft towel and dropped them in to the vet.

Here's where the trouble starts. The vet informed me that spring is generally kitten season. Lots of abandoned kittens are brought in and the only humane thing they can do is euthanise the itty bitty kitties- which basically breaks that part of my heart that loves adorable things with tiny paws and big eyes.


What could I do? They need their mother- so I went looking for her. I asked the neighbours all around if they own a cat, I checked where I found them in search of clues, I did what I could but there wasn't much hope. The vet had told me that these kittens weren't in the best condition and were likely victims of being dumped by some careless punks or abandoned by their mother. Due to the fact they were right under an overgrown lavender bush, chances are it was the latter.

Sadly, I left them with the vet. Chances are they might have been put to sleep already. I guess it's better then slowly dehydrating and starving to death out in the cold but it's so sad. I feel responsible for those little monsters and there's nothing I can do for them. They're too young to live without their mothers milk and they wont last the night without it.

Instead, I wish the owners of their mother had been smart enough to have their cat de-sexed. Forty dollars is all it takes. That way, innocent kittens wouldn't have to pay for their irresponsible behaviour and I wouldn't feel so bad.

1 comment:

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!