Monday, July 18, 2011

Your and You Are: A Logical Explanation

Call me a hardworking member of the Grammar Police, but I have always always always been annoyed when people fail to know the difference between the words YOUR and YOU'RE.

Of course I am sure that none of you indulge in such linguistically reckless behaviour, however, if you share my passion for correct use of apostrophes, I am happy for you to share this with those in need.

So! The first thing you need to know to grasp this deceptively simple concept is that a sentence with the word 'Your' will make sense when that word is replaced with 'My', and that word 'You're' is interchangeable with the phrase 'You Are'.



From there on, it is easy. Whenever you are confused about which Your/You're to use, just swap in one of these interchangeable words and that will be your reference to awesomeness.

Want to practice? Circle the appropriate Your/You're in the appropriate spot.

Your/You're reading my blog. I hope your/you're enjoying it. Hopefully this is your/you're favourite part of the day, but if not, I understand that your/you're priorities may be different to mine and I still think your/you're super cool for reading Nate-Radio!

1 comment:

  1. 'will makes sense' in the paragraph just before the image. Fail. :P

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!