Friday, April 11, 2014

Inverse Sleeping Law

The collective experience known as 'parenting' is a rewarding one, no doubt, however, recently I've been noticing something odd. It struck unexpectedly and, although I am relying purely on anecdotal evidence, I think I've figured out what's going on.

I've been tired lately.




Not your regular "my blood sugar is plummeting because I recently ingested a piece of chocolate that size of my fist" kind of tired, but the sort of 'weariness to the bone' you feel after a genuinely taxing experience. I've been walking between classes like a zombie, sitting in classes like a zombie, I literally almost fell asleep while riding my bike! However, that's normal, right? Anyone will tell you being a Dad means waving goodbye to quality sleep.

The weird thing is that quality sleep is exactly what I was getting.

You see, lately, baby has picked up a knack for occasionally sleeping through right through the night- and this past week did just that repeatedly. The weird thing is that these nights of completely uninterrupted sleep happened prior to the days when this crazy mind-numbing tiredness hit me. It's like my body had become perfectly calibrated to waking up once or twice a night, and when you take that away, it kills me.

I guess all I can hope for is that he keeps sleeping through long enough for my body to reprogram itself for regular-person-sleep...

...Which will never happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me stronger! Rawr!